Britney Pack; Project 1
Step 2: List all its physical attributes of the object(s): To list only some of the physical attributes of these objects; round, pointy, soft, smooth, bristly, tall, long, thin, etc. The main attribute I wanted to focus on was function and how I could manipulate these objects.
Step 3: These objects have many different associative attributes - why was it made? to help make our lives easier, who the object was made for? any person that wanted more convenience/function in their life etc.
For this first project I decided to do a mini series using household objects and transforming their use, function and meaning. In doing so I basically rendered everyday household objects that are meant to make life easier utterly useless.
Object 1: Toothbrush
I took out all the bristles from this toothbrush therefor it is unusable.
Object 2: Hairbrush - again I used pliers to individually remove the ball-tips from the hairbrush except two. This removes its innate purpose for brushing hair.
Object 3: Broom - I used pliers to remove most of the hairs on this broom, leaving it very sparse so it would not be able to sweep anything up.
Object 4: Dental Floss - I cut each individual piece of floss from the pick and sanded down the sharp end into a more rounded form so you wouldn't be able to use either end for flossing.
Object 5: Ruler - I cut and shaved a 12 inch ruler down to just 1 inch.
Here are my pieces that I brought for the critique:
Was this project cathartic for you? It looks like it would be soothing in the way that popping bubble wrap would be. I laughed at the idea of removing the item's purpose by removing its ability to function, it reminds of a post I saw years back about a laminated piece of paper-towel, the post had a very deep discussion about the price of beauty/perfection/preservation vs. purpose following the pictures. You have elevated these items into art, but at what cost? It is both funny and sad.
ReplyDelete