Jane O’Connor Process and Accumulation

 This project stumped me because I was already doing so much that I felt involved process. The drying out of clay, the mixing, the mold making but I realized that was more about the material and didn’t attach any new meaning to the art compared to something else made of clay. Clay is unpredictable in nature, you never really know what you are going to get when you unload the kiln. I like making things and being surprised by the outcome, it feels like I am giving up a level of control over to fate and physics of the universe. I have been curious about the pile of plaster molds sitting in the clay studio and have been trying to utilize them, but there are so many and my ideas were all over the place. I didn’t know how to choose, and David suggested I didn’t, that instead I let someone else. This started my process of asking friends, and passerby’s to pull a mold for me to pour with out knowing anything about my project. I have now poured 3 molds that I have not seen the inside of and it interests me that if someone else had walked by the results would be completely different. 




Comments

  1. Hey Jane, I love how this is coming along! You may be interested in looking into Laurent Craste. He works with porcelain making vases and then "abusing" them in different ways; he also plays with their designs and traditional painting schemes which may help you with ideas in presentation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment