Kaela Murphy: Project 1 - Eyeglass Lenses
smooth, light, rounded, tinted, clear, plastic, varied thicknesses
Associative Attributes:
Designed to fix vision quality, balance, headaches, and other things. Discarded when chipped, marked up, or broken. Made out of plastic to be lighter than older glass models. Designed for use by specific people based off prescription. People always seem to want to look through each other's glasses to understand what their vision is like.
Initial experimentation began with drilling holes into lenses. The first reaction from everyone who saw the lenses was to pick them up and look through them, sometimes stacking them to see what they were like.
I tried melting and burning the lenses together, it doesn't work very consistently and even though the tinted lenses got shiny, the clear lenses didn't take well to the fire and didn't look very nice.
Originally inspired by sea/see/saw by Caitlind r.c. Brown & Wayne Garrett, I tried linking the lenses with 28 gauge wire. the wire kept snapping, but I preferred the look, feel, and movement of the thread links.
As I continued to link lenses together I kept wanting to play with it and toss them around like a ball, so I kept making toys. As I was making the ball I realized that the way they move reminds me of the fidget toys in my psychiatrist's office that help me stay focused or on task during a session
Comments
Post a Comment