Olson, Jessica - Assignment #2 : Process & Concept

 


I still have a bunch of cassettes left over from making my mandolin. So I decided I'd use them by crocheting them into a small tent/hutch thing. The idea is "music as a shelter." Or an escape, a way to isolate myself from the world around me. 

At least that is the plan, I  could run out of tapes or time before the dream comes true. And then I'd have music as a cloak or a blankie, to offer me comfort; the fake itchy comfort that comes from avoiding my problems without actually dealing with them.
But I'm still going to hope for the tent.


It is now the evening of November 15, I was not able to get a tent out of this deal, but if I have time I will keep working on it and maybe one day I'll get there. 








Comments

  1. Hey Jessica, I love how this is coming along! I have a linked two artists that I think you will find interesting that use crocheting in their practice combined with different mediums. Haegue Yang Makes smaller sculptures that utilize space to control the viewers perspective and Orly Genger shows large scale crocheting in outdoor installments.

    https://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/5080

    https://artcritical.com/2013/08/04/orly-genger/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment