Olson, Jessica - Mug Shot / Assignment #1

        Hello, I am Jessica Olson. 2nd year BFA: Art Studio. Nice to meet you.


        For this first assignment I was thinking about what to work with as my base Item. I couldn't think of anything for a while, until I thought about how it seems many of the things that I have been drawing and making the past year and a half don't go anywhere afterwards. So I wondered who I could/ wanted to make something for (outside of my family where things would add to the clutter of my house), and I chose my mandolin teacher.

        I considered making a guitar, since he mostly teaches guitar, but he has lots of guitar nick-nacks in the studio already and mandolin makes it more personal for me.

        I enjoyed messing around with the 8-tracks during the materials study, and in the Christian Marclay book that Denton loaned me there was a picture of cassettes that had been melted down and squished into cube shapes (they were satisfying to look at).

        This is how I came up with the idea to melt cassettes into the shape of a mandolin. So a mandolin is made of wood and used to make music, my re-creation would result in a mandolin that can't make music, but is made of music. And the cassettes, would be horribly mangled in the process.


        I knew that the melted cassette mandolin would look like a heap of garbage, but actually seeing it made me laugh at just how awful it looks, And yet I still find it curiously marvelous.

        The original idea was that I changed "the mandolin is made for music" to "the mandolin is made of music." But I realized that my mandolin is precious to me, and while this is its own kind of precious, it can never measure up to my mandolin, it is simply an ode (this is not the greatest mandolin in the world, no. this is just a tribute).





        Here is a recording of me (mandolin) and Mr. Christman (guitar) playing "Edelweiss" from The Sound of Music.

Comments

  1. Hey Jessica! I love how your mandolin turned out! Here are a couple artists that may inspire you to continue to use and push this medium or melting technique further.

    https://www.designboom.com/art/brian-dettmer-cassette-tape-skeletons/

    https://www.designboom.com/art/melted-plastic-sculptures-by-stefan-gross/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The Stefan Gross work looks gross. Cool, very cool, but gross.

      When I opened the Brian Dettmer page and saw that ram skull, I thought to myself, "I should just give up on life. Why do I even exist when people out there are making stuff like that?" When the article mentions his hands being wet, it was like "boom!" that is how he was able to mold the hot plastic into such detail (it would often stick to the leather gloves I was wearing to protect myself. I wonder if they make insulated, non-stick silicone gloves). He probably still ended up with minor burns though.
      And when he talks about cassette being a dead medium it reminds me of a conversation I had about my project with a Walmart employee, who told me I should make a Lute because it would be an defunct instrument made from a defunct media.
      Everybody seems to be a wizard but me, and that design boom site (do they not know when to capitalize, or are their "shift" keys broken? Or am I just being mean because it is a ~*Style Choice*~).

      By the way, I've been meaning to ask: When you say you like to work with ready-mades in sculpture, what is that? What does that mean?

      Delete

Post a Comment