Samantha Newton: Process and Concept
I wanted to continue working with my piece from the previous project for this next exercise, and decided to work on highlighting the concepts of utility and appearance through the process of performance. This week I have altered the dress in order to make it slightly more flexible. It can now be usefully worn by anyone of a slightly smaller, larger or simply different build than the dress was originally intended to fit. By usefully fit, I mean that it will stay up when worn with the pockets filled. I am now in the process of organizing different people to wear the object out and use it in whatever way they feel it would be most useful.
Hey Samantha! Last week you were talking about using photos to document and change the context of your dress using an advertisement aesthetic. I think the guerrilla girls and Barbara Kruger would be interesting for you to look into, to see how they deconstruct advertisements and how they critique the male gaze.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.guerrillagirls.com/
https://www.moma.org/artists/3266
Thanks! I had a look at these before, but I forgot to reply.
Delete