Christy Petty- Project 2

My idea for this project was to create a piece which will slowly begin to accumulate scratches and marks the longer it has been worn. 


The idea is to crate something with a large enough surface to catch scratches. I will be creating three pieces, a necklace, a bracelet, and a ring. 


I will be using copper for this piece as it is a softer metal and will collect scratches easier.


Here is the beginning of the ring. 






Here is the sauldering and shaping. I broke the saulder multiple times before it was finally shaped properly. 














I forgot to document the rest of the process of making however I sanded and buffed everything until it had a mirror like finish. I will wear it every day and document the accumilation of scratches each day. I will also document my body's reaction to the jewelry as it is copper and should die my skin. 

I missed day 1 and 2 but here is day 3

Day 3








Day 4
I cut myself on the ring today. The metal sheet I used was too thin and sanding it made the metal very thin and sharp. I will have to remember this for next time I make jewelry.


Day 5








Day 6 

I suffered a painful accident while moving furniture today.



I'm ok but the ring will need some surgery. I'll fix it and keep going with the project.

Day 10
After healing from my injuries and fixing the ring I am happy to report that the experiment is back on for the ring! I have been wearing the necklace and bracelet throughout the move but I thought it is probably not a good idea to put the ring back on until after. I also fixed the gap in the ring as I think it's a safety issue to have it open. I don't want it ripped off my hand again. 





















Day 11

















Not much change but there are quite a few scratches and discolorations since I created these peices.

Day 12

Comments