Kaela: Two Places Research Exercise
Two Places Research Exercise:
I chose two places that I am often, my bedroom and kitchen, to consider the likely different reactions to finding my hair and others in these spaces. I have been trying to find out if/why displaying the braid in different spaces changes how people engage with it. A lot of my research is introspective thought since my practice is so self focused.
Bedroom/bathroom
- Hair found all over the place, both mine and the cat’s
Floor, desk, closet, woven through clothes, in bathroom drain
Clumps from drain/ brushes regularly cleaned up and thrown away
- Not really out of place, this is where I do my hair
- More personal space than the kitchen, this is where I spend most of my time, it’s comfortable
School
- Most people’s initial reaction is to be grossed out or weirded out that I have just bags of hair at my disposal
- Little to no desire to touch, coming from both the detachment from myself but also manner of display being in the school, brings the association of gallery display we’ve all been trained to not touch without explicit permission
This location brings more consideration of boundaries and consent than when the hair is growing out of my head
Comments
Post a Comment