Final Project- Christy Petty
Hi guys!
Sorry for the delay on my post!
So for this project we needed to do a site specific work and I had no clue what to create. I had a lot of ideas but none seemed to really stick out.
My initial idea was to create a brown sugar mouse and have the bag of sugar be the environment however I didn’t think this was very strong.
I then thought that maybe I should cover a welding helmet in mirrors as it would make the environment unbearable for others but protect the person inside the helmet. I think it would also be funny to see a disco ball helmet. I also didn’t think this was very strong though.
I then thought of art by Fabrizio Corneli, James Turrell and through them came across these beautiful gourd lamps by Przemek Krawczyński (crazy hard name to try and write never mind say) his Lamps and the work of both Corneli and Turrell change the environment around the installation making the room seem different than how it really is.
James Turrell, Afrum I (white), 1967, Projected light
Fabrizio Corneli, Iperboreo, 1995-96
Przemek Krawczyński, Nepenthis, Date Unknown
Other lamps by Krawczyński.
His website: https://www.calabarte.com/
This inspired me! I didn’t have the ability to do any crazy amount of wiring or access to gourds so I decided to harvest a light out of a lamp I had that had broken (electrical still good) and create my own shell out of paper maché. I didn’t take any good pictures as my hands were covered in glue however I did have a few problems with the paper taking two days to dry. Once everything dried I poured a little bit of white paint inside but this made the glue wet again. I opted not to paint the outside because the paint also took a few days to dry.
Once everything was dry enough to touch I poked holes using a dart and a sewing needle. This took a few hours. In the future I would like to try my hand at this project again.
It reminds me of a sea anemone shell! Not my intention but still cool!
Comments
Post a Comment